Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

American Apology

As we are in the last week before the election people are publicizing their political views more than ever.  Facebook is loaded with people posting adds or endorsements for candidates, people complaining about people posting adds or endorsements for candidates and people complaining about people complaining about people posting adds or endorsements for candidates. It's a viscous cycle.  The opposing sides talk bad about the other side and do whatever they can to make their side look a little better. 

As I have in the past waded through the differences between the two sides I often wonder how things could be any different.  While some might disagree with me, I have found things on both sides that I really agree with.  I think we should help the poor, but I don't think it should be just a handout.  I think we should help those who don't have jobs, but I don't think we should just give them money.  I don't think drugs should be illegal.  I don't think abortion should ever be legal.  I think the government should be able to tax, but I don't think they should redistribute wealth.  I think the education system is important, but I don't think the government should be in it.  The list could go on and on, but that's not what I sat down to say this morning.

As I look through the list of what I agree and don't agree with I began to wonder where the church is in all of this.  Why have some of these ideas ever been accepted?  Is it because the church isn't doing it's job?

I have a habit of lumping "the church" into one big category.  I know there are some churches out there that do a better job than others, but the truth is we have all failed from time to time.  Whether it be something we have said, something we did or didn't do, or a relationship we refused to mend/build.

I have this notion that if the church would be willing to say, "I'm wrong" once in a while or "I'm sorry I hurt you," things would be a lot different.  Instead we are willing to destroy people and "send them to hell" just because they believe differently than us.  We choose not to build relationships with people because they are different or it may be a challenge.

I look back over the issues and see how most of them could be solved if we as the body of Christ would just step it up and build relationships. We would know when people are in need and be able to help them with more than just money, but we could help them get back on their feet. We could support and show love to the woman who decides not to have an abortion rather than scorning her for either a decision she made or being raped.  We would teach people through our relationships that shame is not something God wants for us.

I think we who America an apology. For too long we have not been Christ to those who are hurting, those who are in need, and those who really need us.  We have become of the world in that we want to be isolationists and want to keep our problems to ourselves rather than apologizing for the fact that we don't know all the answers and that we make mistakes.

We as a body struggle with pride and many of us have become just like the older brother in the story of the prodigal son.  Too busy looking at all the good we have done and how we haven't been "rewarded" that we forget the we already have access to all of what God has for us.

We need to quit blaming the countries issues on everyone else and realize that many of us are the problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment