Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Chapter 8 - Language

A couple weeks ago, I spent some time hanging out with Lilly.  Everyone else was somewhere else (can't remember now) and so I was just having some fun with her enjoying seeing her plan and try new things. 

One of her favorite things is doggies.  She loves doggies and makes a noise very much sounding like doggy.  It's rather cute to see her get so excited over the fact that there is a dog nearby.

We were playing outside, when she noticed our dogs and began to call them.  Now, her call isn't really anything she says, but rather she has heard us make the kissing sound to get the dogs to come, so she does that, really well.  She kissed at them and kissed at them trying to get one of them to give her the time of day.  Neither would even come close unless I called them over.

As I thought about that interaction, I began to think about how Georgia and Sadie need to learn to
"hear" and "listen" to Lilly the same way they listen to us.  Then my thoughts changed to the idea that we have to learn to listen to God in the same way.

I know for a fact, that I have heard from God.  I have heard from Him in several different ways and if you read back through some of my older blogs, I cover several of them in some detail.  However, I know there a lot of people out there that well say they have never heard from God.  I wonder if maybe God talks to us quite a bit, but many times we just don't realize God is talking to us or we just plain ignore it because we want to do our own thing. 

So as I sat there and watched the interaction between Lilly and our dog Georgia, I saw the genuine love Lilly had for the dog and all she wanted was to be close to the dog and play with her.  I couldn't help but  look at my life and wonder how often I have missed spending time with God because, like the dogs, I was too focused on something else and didn't realize God was talking to me or ignored Him talking to me. 

Sure there are going to be times, and I can show you several in the Bible where God gives people really no choice but to hear Him, but I think there are so many times we just miss out because we aren't listening for Him. 

I don't want to miss out.  I want to know what He has for me.  I want to bask in the love that He wants to show me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment