Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

God's Will vs Your Will

I was listening to a book on CD this morning called Hearing God by Dallas Willard.  In the book he made the statement something along the lines of, if you are listening for God's voice you will seldom end up where you intend to go. 

I thought about that for a few minutes when I realized that's exactly how my life has gone so far.  I can look back over the past few years and can really see where I had desires to do one thing, but God told me He wanted me to do something else.  Sometimes even in the midst of doing what I thought He told me He wanted to do, He would guide me in another direction.

I think about the Paul's store, where in Acts it says that He was prevented by the Holy Spirit from going to Asia.  Paul had said earlier that he had intentions of heading to Asia, but God changed his direction.  We don't know exactly why, but God's plans were bigger than Paul's.

I guess what I really want to say is, is that we need to be in tune to listening for God's voice in whatever manner He so chooses to speak to us.  I wonder how many times we haven't been listening and He has been trying to speak to us so we end up where He didn't want us to be.  I'm sure I have made my fair share of mistakes. I am just praying that my heart, eyes, and ears are ready to see/listen when God is trying to change my direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment