Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Your Sign



So for a while now, I have made it a habit of reading church signs.  I find it quite interesting to compare the "messages" that are being sent.  For instance, there is one church in town who for years has had a little sign and chain to the entrance to parking lot, that states church parking only.  On the other hand, there is another church who posted on their church marque the message "Commuter Parking Available Anytime."  I don't know about you, but if I wasn't a follower of The Way, I certainly would consider going to a church that allowed me to use it's parking lot to park if I needed to rather than telling me I wasn't allowed if I didn't go to church there.

Another aspect I find interesting is who the messages are directed to. Personally, if I had a marquee I would make sure my messages were relating to the needs of people and directed at people who had no clue who God is.  I know it's hard to imagine, but so many churches have portrayed God in such a wrong light that many don't know the true God and so many children have grown up with very little understanding of who He is.  I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in how we view church, we forget how "outsiders" might see it.

I think churches should be very conscious of what message they are presenting, but unfortunately many spend very little time or effort on them and the message could really be turning away.  Want to see what I am talking about?  Just try "googling" church signs and click on the images tab at the top.  There are many you can laugh at, but some are just plain sad. 

So...you may be wondering what this has to do with you.  Well...while many of us don't carry a marquee with us everywhere we go, we do all present a message to others.  Think about what that message might be.  Are you presenting a message that is primarily for the follower and so you can relate to followers pretty well, or could you be one who portrays a message of love for those who aren't following?  Who is your target audience?  Is it the same as Christ's? 

Just something to think about.

Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. Ephesians 6:19-20 NIV

 

No comments:

Post a Comment