Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

So Pleasant

I went to Wal-Mart in the later part of the evening to get a few things we needed.  I had quite a few things and I knew the transactions where going to take a while.  I always hate to take up a lot of the cashiers time with just one person, because if anyone ever gets in line behind you they begin to get frustrated with how long it takes.  On the other side though, I don't know that anyone has a real choice in the matter, regardless of how much stuff you get, you have to go through a line to pay for it.

There were only a few available lanes so I picked a shorter one and began to put my things on the conveyor belt. The cashier was an older women and seemed very kind and sweet.  Not to be rude, judgmental, or anything like that but she very much reminded me of Mrs. Doubtfier.  I don't know what it was, but that is what came to mind when I began my conversation with her. 

The transaction was taking a little while and she had a couple issues along the way with the register, but I just waited patiently.  I knew it was about time for her to get off work, so I hoped I wouldn't be the reason she got out late. I always struggled with my attitude when I worked in retail and someone came in the last 2 minutes of my shift and made me stay 15 minutes late.  Yes, I know its only 15 minutes, but at the end of an 8 hr shift, your just ready to be done.

After I paid, I told her thank you and wished her a happy Thanksgiving and she responded with, "Thank you for being so pleasant."  "Transactions aren't always that way."  As I began to think about that, it began to intrigue me.  What made my interaction with her so different than any other?  I hadn't been excessively nice, but rather treated her with respect and patience.  Could people really be that "un-pleasant" to cashiers at stores.

I think back to when I worked in retail and sure I had my ups and downs with various customers, but I don't know that I would have told a customer, "Thank you for being so pleasant."  It makes me wonder how others have been treating her?

I know there are people out there that are very demanding when it comes to going through a register at a retail store.  Not to be judgmental at all, but I can only imagine the various "types" of people that come through the lines at Wal-Mart.  It seems as so many more people are becoming demanding and develop this sense of entitlement, I can only imagine what it is like to be a cashier there.  I'm pretty certain I don't ever want to have that particular job.  It would be very stressful.

Anyway, my whole point is, as we come into a season of Thanksgiving, we need to remind ourselves of what all we have to be thankful for and make sure we don't become one of those that are "un-pleasent" to interact with.  It could be so easy to think of the people who serve us as just doing their job, but in reality it is so much more than that.  They put up with a lot of crap that they should never have to put up with. 

I think Jesus would have spent time loving on cashiers at stores.  He knows how hard it is and what they have to go through.  Let us be a reflection of Him during this holiday season and treat the people who are serving us with a respect and love and make each of our interactions, "so pleasant."


No comments:

Post a Comment