As I was getting ready this morning and this verse came to mind. The more I thought about it, the more I wonder what kind of fruit I have been producing. In Galatians it says that the fruit of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Are these fruits actually what I am producing or am I producing fruit other than these?
As I break them down I came up with these thoughts:
- Love - sure it is easy to love others, but then again there are those who aren't so easy to love. I know I don't always choose to love them the way God would want me to.
- Joy - well, not doing so good here either. I guess joy doesn't mean you are always happy, but I do get consumed sometimes by worry which I know steals our joy.
- Peace - well, I would love to say that I am good at this would, but in reality I do like a good argument and sometimes struggle with keeping the peace. I'm not saying that I am for war or believe in going out and destroying peace that way, but I certainly know I am not at peace all of the time.
- Forbearance - (otherwise known as showing patience or leniency) I can show patience for a while, but after some time I certainly allow things to eat at me and all leniency tends to go out the window.
- Kindness - I guess it depends on what you view as kindness. I try to be kind and polite to people, but I know I don't always do the greatest job.
- Goodness - well, the Bible says not even one is good, but I certainly try to be.
- Faithfulness - I certainly try to be faithful, although I know I do allow things to come between me and God and I did that in my marriage then it could be considered unfaithful.
- Gentleness - I certainly try to be gentle, but there are times when I most certainly am not.
- Self-control - wow, this can cover so much. Eating, spending, time useage, just to name a few. I know I have self control in some areas, but I also know there are few areas that do a better job of controlling me than I do of controlling me.
Maybe you struggle with some of the same issues. Maybe its times to examine and ask God to help you in a specific area or two. Just remember, when it comes to these, He will certainly grant you opportunities to express them. They are not something He will necessarily just give.