Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Too much stuff!

Before I go back to discuss more of what I was dealing with last week, I wanted to run a few thoughts out and see where they lead.  Not that I don't want to finish that topic, but rather I am still praying for clarity.

Today, while pondering what to write about my mind went back to a conversation I was having with my wife last night.  We were discussing if having a cell phone really was important to us and if we even need them.  My first instinct is that we are so dependent on them how could we ever live with out them?  The more I think about it though, how much slower pace would life be if we didn't have them?  Would life actually be more simple just because we have to actually have a conversation with someone?

If you take it a step further though, how much stuff do we have that we don't need?  That we could live without?  I know I look around my house and see all the things I really enjoy, but really are unnecessary.   It makes me wonder how much of it I could sell to pay off debt and be more free to give as God wants me to give.  Now, don't get me wrong, I tithe, but what if I could give more to those in need?  What if I could be free from debt so I had all my resources to help other people?  Is that the life God called us to?

In reality it all begs the question, how much is too much?  Now I know God does give in abundance to people and some people use that abundance to help others or use their excess to benefit others, but at what level does it become too much?

These are all just thoughts that are running through my head today.  My prayer is that God will give me guidance on this and help me in my quest to get out of debt so that I can be of more service to Him and have more available to give.

Side note, I know that God wants us not to give only out of abundance, but also out of faith which will require us to be more reliant on Him.  I wonder though, if we were to give as though we had no debt, how much more would that be?  How many more could we help?

If you household income is more than $38,000 you make more than 99% of the people in the world. The average person lives on less than $3 a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment