Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Yes....I can be negative

Reading back over my last few blogs, I can really see how negative my attitude had become.  I'm not saying that I am not still dealing with some of the issues, but I don't want to come across that way by any means.  I want to be open, honest, and real, but I don't want to turn people away by my complaining, ranting, or just down-right negativity.  So....to take a break from all that (and hopefully steer myself in a new direction) I want to share a quote from an author that really challenges me.

"Love cannot be explained logically, nor beauty nor wonder nor eternity or our endless cosmos. Much of our existence defy’s logical principles. As does God.....To fit God inside our logic is to reduce him."  -Donald Miller

I feel like I have been trying to put that into words for so long, yet have been unable to put it quite so straight forward and to the point.  One thing that I have learned over the past couple years, in dealing with my ministry and the time afterwards, is who God is not. (That could be a whole other topic in and of itself) When I read this quote, it brought me comfort.  It brought me comfort in knowing that I could say, "I don't know."  It brought me comfort in saying, "God's ways are not my ways, His ways are much greater."  It brought me comfort in saying, "I can't understand all that God is or all that He does."


I more or less think of it like this. If I am in a relationship with God, He will reveal himself to me in His timing and ways.  If someone says something that does not strictly go against the truth that I know about God, then I can let it be for that person.  What I mean is, if someone tells me God has spoken to them I have no reason to question it.  (If they say God has told them something they must tell me and it goes against what God has told me, I had better be praying to find out what it really is that God wants of me, because at that point I will need his discernment.) I am allowed to be at a different place in my walk that someone else.  I am allowed for them to have a deeper or shallower relationship with God than me.  It all comes from time and God's revelation of Himself.


Anyway, back to the point.  I am comfortable knowing that God is bigger than me, smarter than me, wiser than me, and that I cannot possibly expect to understand all of who He is.  I can continue my relationship with Him, learn more about Him each day, and trust that He is shaping me. That brings me peace.

Plus...I don't want to serve a God that I can completely understand.  I want a God that is smarter than me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment