Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

What is your purpose?

As I mentioned in my last post, my wife recently picked up a new book for to read from the library.  She knows one of my recent favorite authors has become Donald Miller, because he challenges me.  Personally, I think he is a very good writer and he keeps me entertained, thinking, and questioning.  He has never made me question my faith or really question what I believe, but rather he puts things that I believe into words far better than I ever could.  (Imagine that, an author being good with words :))  Other times his thoughts challenge me to think beyond my current situation and look at life a little differently.

Alright, enough said about that, but this book I am reading right now has a lot of this material in it.  I want to save a lot about it till closer to Father's Day as it is a book about Fathers....well, actually a book about how growing up without a father really effected him.  He shares the struggles he had, the journey along the way, and how it has given him and understanding of who God is and how God wants to be our father.

One point that I found really interesting and really wanted to share today was the importance for a child to know they have a purpose.

Ask any kid what their purpose in life is and I bet a majority of them won't be able to give you an answer.  Many could say that don't feel like they have a purpose and life without them would go on just the same....or maybe some would say life would go on better if they didn't exist.  They see themselves as the cause of problems rather than part of God's plan.

I would also venture to state that many adults feel the same way.  They don't see that they have a purpose in life.  They have a hard time accepting that they are part of God's plan.  They too believe that if they weren't here, that life would go on and largely remain unchanged.

As I read this and think about it, I began to wonder about what my purpose is.  I've often wondered if a large part of my purpose is to raise my kids.  I know ever parent says that they have amazing kids, but it surprises me at the abilities kids posses that they seem to lose later in life.  What if one of my major purposes in life is to show my kids that they have a purpose and foster an environment that allows them to explore their potential.

I've heard it time and time again...parents tell their kids they can do anything they set their mind to...they can be anything that they want when they grow up.  Then I look at my life sometimes and wonder if maybe I didn't limit myself at some point and didn't become all that I could be.  Don't get me wrong, I love my life and what it is becoming, but seeing my kids and their potential really gets me thinking.

I say that  because to me it ties in to purpose.  I wonder if life would be better for our kids if we really focused on teaching them that they have a purpose in life.  Sure the purpose in life might change as they get older, but teaching them that they have a purpose and that without them here life would be so different seems so close to God's heart.

Reading through the bible that seems like a constant theme God has shared.  We all have purpose.  God tells us that time and time again.  Imagine life without Moses, David, Jonah, Elijah, Samson, etc.  Even some of those that we label as bad characters in the bible, God had a purpose for.  Some fulfilled it, some didn't.

I want to be someone who knows my purpose...who lives my purpose....who teaches my kids that they have purpose....who helps others realize they too have a purpose.  Living life without a purpose is not what God has called us to.  He has a plan and a purpose for you.  Question is are you willing to accept it?  Will you take the challenge of making sure your kids realize they have a purpose?





I want to tag this on today because of a couple things that I was thinking as I was writing this.  While Don is one of my favorite authors, he is still human.  While I love sharing about his books, they are not the bible, they are his own personal stories and what he has learned along the way.  If you choose to read them, please keep that in mind and run questions or thoughts you might have through the "bible filter" to make sure they align with God's word before you let them become part of your beliefs and motives.

Secondly, if you want help figuring out your purpose or need someone to talk to, contact me. I don't have all the answers (or even many of them) but I will pray with you and help you explore ways God can share your purpose with you.  You can always email me at combs.alan@gmail.com  or comment on here and I can contact you.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment