Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sabbath....what's that?

I was reading through Exodus 16 today and almost started to somewhat recap what I have been saying throughout the week.  It's pretty amazing how God puts things together before we know it.  Read though my blogs and you will see where I know that God is there....I have seen His works....I have heard Him...I know He is there yet...continue reading...and you will find there are times I deal with a great discouragement....great unrest....times of grumbling.  The Israelites were the same way.  While that doesn't make it right, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one who is like that.

That however, is not what I wanted to talk about today.  As I finished reading the chapter it talks not only about God's provisions, but also about observing the sabbath.  Now, at this point, the 10 commandments haven't yet been introduced, but they obviously have been accustomed to observing because it doesn't say that anyone argued about it, had thoughts about it....it just doesn't seem new to them. (My interpretation)

What is interesting though, is that even though it is a commandment, who really observes it anyway.  Sure we go to church on Sunday, but do we really set aside the whole day for God.  That is what Holy means right?  Set apart for God.  So when it says, remember the sabbath day and keep it holy it does mean to set it apart for God?

Why is that?  What makes us think that our lives are so much different than anyone else before us.  That we can choose to take all 7 days for ourselves and not set any part of it aside for God and his uses.

Now, I am not saying it has to be Sunday....many pastors have other days they observe it on.  They take the day "Off" from their job and spend it with their family or some other way.  Still, are we too busy to really "remember" the sabbath day?  Isn't it God's way of telling us to slow down and rest.  He is God, and yet He even took a day of rest.  Why are we any better than Him?  What do we have that is so important that we can't give up one day for Him?

I know God is a loving God and I don't necessarily think  that you can't go out to eat on Sunday, play games with friends on Sunday, or any of those other "rules" that have been passed on, but I do think it is important to set it apart for God.  Maybe its just me and I may completely confused, but it seems so many go to church because that is what is required of them and then turn off all the "churchy" things as soon as they get home. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not perfect in this area by any means, but it makes me wonder....Am I missing something?

Thoughts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment