Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Parenting

I write todays post after hearing so many bothersom storries or occurances over the last few weeks.  Now, I know I don't have all the answers, but having  3 kids I have some experience. 

It seems as though so many parents have become so selfish and self centered.  I say this knowing that so many kids out there dont have both parents at home because one has decided they didn't want to be a parent anymore or have that responsibility.  It is an ever growing issue.  Have you ever wondered what it would be like if more fathers were at home and boys didn't have to learn what it was like to be a man from their mothers. 

I feel like I had good parents.  Parents who to this day are still helping me in one way or another.  However, I hear about parents who don't want to spend time with their kids... parents who don't want to get along with their kids...parents who think they are done being a parent when their kid turns 18. 

This all breaks my heart.  Kids have so much to deal with already. 

I look at my relationship with my kids and what it used to be compared to what it is now.  When I was a youth pastor I missed almost a year of my kids life in which I didn't have much time for them.  Looking at it now makes me realize how much I missed.  I love getting the opportunity to hold them in the morning, play with them in the evenings and just have fun everyday conversations with them.  Sure there are a lot of things in life that I want to do and want to have...but I can't do it at the expense of my kids.  I just don't understand how parents can be so selfish. 

I look at so many of our problems in the world today and wonder how many would be fixed if a parent would stand up and be the parent they were meant to be.  The movie "Courageous" is a great example.  Sometimes it takes being more than a "good enough father."  Sometimes it takes just spending time with them....getting to know them....forgetting your desires and putting their needs before your own.

It's hard being a parent.  Probably the hardest job in the world.  It is also a responsibility, not a choice.  If you are a parent and reading this....stand up and do the right thing.  Spend time getting to know your kid...teaching your kid...loving your kid.  Life is too short to say, "I'll do it later."

 

PS. Step Parents...your are a parents too whether you like it or not.  They are now your kids, treat them like your kids, love them like they are your own, and give them the respect they deserve (not earned).  What?  They arn't treating you right...tough... you are the one called to set the example.  Step up and be the man or woman God called you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment