Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Abraham Genesis 22

The story of Abraham and Isaac is ever so popular.  Ask any body who has been in church much as a child and I'm certain they would know the story.  However, I think as adults we should examine the story because as a kid, we see things totally different.

As I read through the story today, I was reminded of my own personal walk with Christ.  Not that I am like Abraham by any means.

Araham went through a large portion of his life wanting a son.  He wanted a son so much that he was willing to listen to poor advice and have one with another woman even after God told him he would have a son.

I can only imagine what this is like, but it makes me wonder what in my life have I done, that I did my own way, that was not what God had planned for me.  How has that affected where I am now?  How much pain has that caused that I have yet to see?

(hat's not the point of this blog...but something to think about none-the-less)

As we know, Abraham did end of having a son with his wife, and then after several years go buy he is asked to sacrifice his son.  I can't imagine what that would be like.  Would I be willing to sacrifice my own son just to proove my love for God?  I think it goes beyond that though.  I think God knew how much Isaac meant to Abraham and wanted to see if he would hold anything back from Him.  Would I be willing to do that?  What has God asked me to give up in my life...to turn over as a sacrifice to God?  Have I been willing.  Have I held on to it and said "ah...nah...this means to much to me." 

I know there are a lot of other variables and lessons we can learn from this, but it just really makes me think about what I may have missed that was part of God's plan because I spent too much time thinking about what I wanted and thinking I knew more than He did.  Abraham said, "God will provide"  Do I believe that.....Do I REALLY believe that? 

To that, I agree with the man in Mark 9:24. "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief"

No comments:

Post a Comment