Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

The guy on the side of the road

Do you ever wonder about that guy on the side of the road?  The guy you see trying to hitch a ride, the guy at the corner asking for money or holding a sign saying "Will work for food" or something of that nature, or that guy walking on the side of the road minding his own business.
I was having car issues a lot of the day yesterday and spent a decent amount of time going back and forth into town and in my travels yesterday I bet I saw 4 or 5 different people on the side of the road.  All throughout the day it was really bothering me that despite my own issues that I was dealing with I didn't stop to help or offer a ride to any of them.  Always thinking, "I've got car problems I need to fix" and "I will stop next time."
I know they say it can be dangerous to stop and pick up somebody along the side of the road, but can you imagine what would have happened if Jesus acted in that same mannor.  If He always though, I'm here to do something else, I can't stop to help them.  I'm too busy or my issues are bigger than their issues.
It just really bothers me, that I did that. That I thought my problems were too big and consuming to help someone else.
I wonder what their story could have been...they are important to Jesus....why wern't they important to me?
I can always justify reasons why I didn't stop, but in the end, its always going to be selfishness.  I wonder what other areas of our lives we just go on by people and ignore that they are even there.
As I was getting ready to conclude, I thought of something.  What if we are someone else's blessing and because we are to concerned with ourselves, we keep that from them.  Now that's selfish.

 Resolve: I want to be that man that is willing to stop and help anyone along side of the road.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alan

    I just noticed you were blogging. I think I just read every post. Just wanted you to know that when I think of you, I think of a self-less man. You have always been an example of servanthood to me. If I was on the side of the road, I would be hoping for someone with your heart and passion to pass by!

    I love to hear your thoughts and your thirst for God. I can tell from your writing that God is revealing Himself to you in new and exciting ways these days. Thanks for sharing your passions, pains, and progress.

    You are loved...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brady, that means a lot. A lot has changed over the past year or so and I think I am finally getting back to where I was in my relationship with Christ, and I find it funny that sometimes I have to learn the same lessons all over again.

    Thanks for reading. Blogging has kinda become an outlet for me and a way to process some of what I have been reading.

    ReplyDelete