Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Whatever It Takes

Over the past weekend I had an opportunity to go with a group of guys to an event  called "Men at the Cross." It is a conference that speaks to the fact that men need to disciple men. I have been blogging about that for quite some time now, and while I didn't really know upfront that was the focus of the conference. I didn't really know what to expect other than I would be spending some time with guys from the church and hoped to develop some new relationships.

For me the conference was so short that it came across almost like a machine gun firing.  While it had a great message there were lots of points that were "fired" that I had to write down, because for me they needed more thought.

One such point is based off the statement, "Make me like Jesus, whatever it takes."  Dr. Rick Rigsby said that he has been praying that prayer for quite some time now.  As I listen to him share about what that looks like and means to him, I wrote that phrase down, because I wanted to examine that prayer in my life.

While I can't say that I pray those exact words, my heart has been in that place several times over the last several years.  What I find interesting is that when my heart gets to that place, God allows things to come into my life to teach me how to be more like Jesus.  It is not an easy place to be.  I don't know that I can even say that I succeed in seeing it as such most of the time, at least until God has me go through a series of events to finally see the point He has been teaching me.  

As I write this, I can't help but think, "I wish God would just be more logical."  I know that God is very logical and His wisdom far surpasses mine.  That is the way it has to be.  I don't want a God that I can entirely figure out.  Knowing the fact that God knows so much more than me gives me comfort.  It's amazing how often our "logic" is actually so illogical when it comes to the way God views things. 

So here I am today, in front of each of you asking God to "make me like Jesus, whatever it takes."  Maybe today can be a day that you can begin examining what that looks like in your life and if you are ready to say the same thing.  I guarantee you it will not be an easy journey, but from my journey I can say it is worth it.

Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. Ephesians 6:19-20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment