Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Is it what we think it is?

Ok, so I really shortened down the title from its original authors'.  I like to keep mine short.   Anyway, the original title is "How does American Culture Influence Christianity?"  I thought that was an interesting title, because I don't know that it should.  Anyway here is what Donald Miller had to say today.  I found it fascinating and rather insightful.


It’s a broad topic that deserves a book, of course, but just asking the question has value.
 
I’ll choose only one area to start, and that’s our culture’s preoccupation with the self and success. I mean this as one topic because the kind of success we are talking about is really about self glory.
America loves a winner. All cultures do, but we love them especially and I’d even say more.
I remember spending time in Peru, where the pace is slow, even uncomfortably slow. I daily watched farmers walk into their fields from their tiny huts and asked our hiking guide what the values of the culture were. I asked because nobody was really bent on success in the American sense. They weren’t trying to build small businesses and seemed content on being, well, largely anonymous.

Click here to continue reading...


No comments:

Post a Comment