Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Days Like Today

Alright, so I don't know that the title is really a good description of what I want to talk about today, but it is days like today that make me question and wonder about our life here in the United States. 

As I previously shared here, I agree with Don that our culture is a little preoccupied and that some of our views are quiet a bit out of skew.  After reading his take on it, I came across a friend of mine's blog where she was sharing about her trip to Haiti.  As I think about the posts shared by the two of them, I can't help but wonder how far our perception of reality is off.

Jesus said it is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven than it is for a camel to go through the eye of a needle.  I don't really want to go into the who camel through the eye of a needle thing, but I believe it does mean that it is hard.

I think about us as Americans compared to other countries and to so many we are really rich.  We have more than many people in this world could dream of.  As I put two and two together, I wonder if the reason it is harder is because we end up with more worries, more cares, more things that distracted from the reality of our lives.

I look back over my even recent life and how often I have lost focus of the truth that is Jesus Christ and focused on something that is so unimportant in the scheme of things.  The more I look at my life I see exactly what Christ meant.  It is hard to keep our heart in the right place.  It is hard to not lose sight of God when we can so easily get focused on what we want.

I think in general it is easy to become so focused on the wants. We want a new car, we want a new house, we want new clothes, we want more money, we want bigger this, bigger that, most of what many of us think about is what we want....we want and we want and we want.  We forget about what God wants and really His wants are the only things that matter, yet for most of us they don't matter.

Anyway, just a thought for the day.  What is it that you really want? 

No comments:

Post a Comment