Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Lies...its all lies

We had the privilege of going with my parents this past weekend to an Amish community.  I’ve been to one before, but not since I was old enough to really understand what they believe and how simple their life really is.  To me, it’s amazing, yet somewhat disturbing at how complex our lives have gotten. 

After being there for part of the day, my wife asked me if I thought we might be missing out on something because we don’t live like that.  My answer had to be yes.

The more I think about our lives and the lives we, specifically Americans, live I am saddened by the fact that we are so greedy.  I have to include myself in the “we,” because I too have said, “I want” before.  I believe that God wants to give us the desires of our heart, but shouldn’t that desire be whatever He desires?  How could God not want to give us what He desires for us?

While we were there, my dad took the time to talk to one of the guys and the gentleman mentioned that they could only travel 15 miles a day with their horse and buggies.  I was surprised by that at first, but in thinking about it, I realized that they don’t really have to go farther very often. Their lives are so centered on family and community that they don’t need to travel very often to live their lives.  Without the extras, it is easier to live within ones means and if you don’t owe anyone money, life can be simpler.  I can only imagine where our country would be if we didn’t live off credit.  So many of us owe so much that when we work we are really just working to pay someone else.  We aren’t working to really provide for our family. 

So as I sit here today, I have to wonder, are we living a life that is way off what God had intended for us?  Are we so wrapped up in what the world tells us we should want that we forget to live in community and take care of one another?  I know there are some issues with the Amish beliefs, but could it be that they are really modeling a life closer to that of what Christ wants from us?  Could we have all bought into the lies of satan?

It makes you wonder….or at least it does me. The early church sold everything so that they could live together and provide for each other. Now, we hold on to everything so tight, refuse to give to others because we don’t like them, and find ways to isolate ourselves.  Are we listening to the lies of satan?  I think so.

Now, what to do about it?



Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. Ephesians 6:19-20 NIV

 

No comments:

Post a Comment