Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Encouragement of a wife

Today, I want to share what may be a lesser known power that wives have.

Over the past six months to a year, I have been taking note of different things Marcey does that I have taken for granted over the years.  Sometimes, I come across something that I wish I would have realized sooner so that I could actually have an open dialog with her about it. Plus, by doing so,  she would be able to see that I do truly understand her efforts in my life as well as I can realize how those efforts really effect me.

Over the past few years, I have had a couple friends that no matter what it is in my life that is going on they are always an encouragement.  I have always admired them for that and hope to someday be able to be that for someone else.  What I have realized lately, however, is that my wife has the power to encourage me like no one else.

We all get discouraged from time to time.  Last week was one of those times for me.  I can't for certain say what was the cause of the discouragement, but something just felt out of place.  Then over this past weekend, I was able to spend some time with Marcey and through the course of our conversations, she said some things that I noticed immediately began to lift my spirits.  That is when I really began to realize the power that she had.

Now, I want to take a moment and say that I don't think we should put pressure on our wives nor should we feel fulfilled only when our wives are telling us the things we want to hear.  However, I think that God has strategically placed our wives in our lives to make us, as husbands, to be better people more like Him. 

In Genesis 2:18 it says  Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” I think this verse is important, because it describes the power a woman has.  God does not say that He is going to give man a slave, but rather a suitable helper.  To me, a helper is just as important as the person they are helping.  Not only that, but a suitable helper means that they are qualified for the position.

I couldn't imagine where I would be right now if I hadn't met and married my wife. 

In 1 Corinthians 7:14 it says  For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy. There are a lot of directions you can go with this verse, but I don't believe what He is actually sayings is that people are saved through their spouse and that they don't have to believe in Christ (there is a difference between being saved and being sanctified...maybe I can touch on that more later).  Rather I think that what it really means is that as a spouse we have a vital role to play in the lives of our spouse.  I can't tell you how many times I have been able to see Christ in the life of my wife and that has helped shape me and my attitude.

We are called to be Christ to our spouses just as we are to others.  Unfortunately we often become so comfortable around them or forget the importance of that relationship and take it for granted.  

Anyway, there are three things I really wanted to say.

First, Thank you Marcey for being such an encouragement in my life.  I love you so much!

Second, wives encourage your husbands.  You don't know the power you have and how much a few simple words from you will really effect his heart, mind, and soul.

Third, husbands (including me) don't take for granted what your wife does for you.  Began to look for the different things she is doing in your life that so often become unnoticed or overlooked.  Then, thank her for them.  I am terrible at this, but I know it is a great power of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment