Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Wrap me in your arms (take 2)

A couple weeks ago, I shared a song that was on my heart called "Wrap Me in Your Arms," by Michael Gungor.  It has become a song that I cling to recently in the midst of some confusion.  It has been a great reminder along with "Loved by You," by Paul Baloche.  These two songs have brought me a lot of peace over the last month or so.

Anyway, last night Lilly didn't sleep so well.  She woke up and started crying and after getting to her to back to sleep, I tried to lay her down and she just started crying again.  I picked her up and tried to get her to go back to sleep but it was a real challenge.  Something was bothering her.  After about 5 minutes or more of the crying I finally got her to rest on my chest while I had my arms around her and she calmed down.  As I lay there holding her, "Wrap Me in Your Arms" came into my head and really helped shape that moment for me.


If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!    -Matthew 7:11

As I laid there I begin to think about how, in that moment, I wanted to hold my little girl and take away whatever pain she had.  I wanted to ease her mind and help her rest.  Then, If I, being evil wants to do those things for her, how much more does God want to wrap us in His arms and help us.

I was watching the background story behind "Loved by You," with Paul Baloche yesterday and he said that when he was writing the song he ran it by several pastors to make sure they didn't think it was heretical.  He said that he believed what he wrote, but didn't want to minimize the God human relationship.

I don't think the song is heretical at all, especially not after last night.  For me that time, even though not necessarily pleasant, reminded me of what God has been trying to tell me lately.  It showed me that it is OK for me to feel down sometimes because that is a time when God can come in and wrap me in His arms and show me how He wants to love me.

After all, He is the perfect Father.



No comments:

Post a Comment