Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

What is a disciple anyway?

I have been talking lately about we were called to make disciples.  After writing about it, I figured if I truly believed that I had better make sure I really understood what that meant.  I understood the concept, but could I be missing something important.

I searched our local library and found a book called DiSSIDENT DISCIPLeSHIP.  While I wouldn't necessarily recommend the book (for two reasons, I haven't finished it, and its rather a complicated read...lots of big word...lol) so far I have really had to stop and think about some of the stuff Augsburger has said.

Today, I am just going to leave you with a few thoughts and hopefully next week I will dig a little more into them as to really what they mean in my life.

The first thing I found interesting is that Augsburger says that being a disciple means that you don't stop at believing in Christ, but rather you believe Christ.  Simply put, you believe the same things Christ believed.

The second thing I found interesting was his definition of agape love. Agape love is a radical commitment to the welfare of the other that sees the other with an equal regard in spite of the other's response; that seeks to be understanding without need to understand or to be understood; that risks, cares, gives, and shares with no need for reciprocity, no need to be respected, no need to be appreciated, no need to be thanked, and no need to enjoy the process.  Agape love is love of neighbor given because the neighbor is also a creature, a precious creation of God.  It is uncalculated, impartial, unmerited, disinterested goodwill given to each as a precious person.  Agape love is non-conditional acceptance.  Agape loves is at first imitative love, then participative love as Christ is formed within the lover. ....All I can say is wow....if that is what we are called to, how easily we have failed.

Lastly and probably the biggest topic is being a disciple means imitating Christ.  Several times Christ gave us a command to do as He does.  Look for them. Most of them (if not all) will say As-So.  In other words, He says, as I have done, So you should do.

Anyway, I am sure I will probably come up with some more interesting thoughts.  I will probably have to reread each chapter a couple times.  (Remember I'm not a theologian) I just wanted to leave you with something to think about as this book has really got me thinking.


Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. Ephesians 6:19-20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment