Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Looking for Disciples

If you read my last post, you might be wondering where to look for disciples.  After thinking about this all weekend and talking with my wife I have come up with a couple great starting points. 

Disciples are people that you really spend time with.  You invest in them, teach them, walk with them, eat with them, spend time with them.  They are not just another person you see occasionally and is considered one of your "friends."

As I thought about it, I believe family is a great place to start.  My wife and kids should be considered people that I disciple.  I can't possibly expect to pick 12 other people to spend quality time with and still believe I have time left for my family.  I have to make them part of my ministry.  They need me.  I think all too often we forget our influence we have over our family.  They move down the ladder of importance and we forget that they really should be at the top of our ministry.  I can say from experience that it is really easy to forget.

The next place to look would be for someone or someones that you have a great deal of influence over.  If you find that someone is constantly coming to you for advice or talking to you about their life, their is a good chance that they could be a possibility.  These typically are people that are willing and wanting guidance or a close friend.  They want someone who is willing to be real with them and care about them. 

Certainly the best place to look is in your heart.  I believe God brings people into our lives and places them on our heart.  When He does, most often He wants us to be invest in those people.  I can think of several people in the recent months that God has placed on my heart and they aren't always easy people to know where to begin with.  God asks us to be Christ to those who could cause us to be changed as well.  We have all heard it, but I can't help but use it.  God doesn't give patience, He gives us the opportunity to be patience.  God will bring people into our lives that He can use to mold and shape us as well. 

Anyway, feel free to share your thoughts on where you could look for people to disciple as well.



Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. Ephesians 6:19-20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment