Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

God's Control

Today I want to give you a few thoughts I have been wrestling with.  I am trying to figure out how they really go together and what they mean for us. 

Thought 1: God is in Control and leaves nothing to chance.  We were talking about this Sunday morning in our connection class and were given several illustrations and scriptures to back it up. For most of us, we say we believe God is in control, but then I can see where many times we believe things just "happen" to us rather than believing that all things happen for a reason.  This thought is perplexing and can really make you look at your life differently if really internalize it. 

Thought 2: Sometimes in our lives things happen to us that seem terrible.  Part of the assignment from Sunday was to read the story of Job and I can only imagine being in his shoes.  I've never had near that happen to me, but I do remember times in the not-so-distant past that God where I didn't fully believe God was in the issues I was dealing with and I thought things were just happening to me that were out of my control.  Sure I tried to look for ways for God could be using them, but I didn't really think of it as Him having control over it. 

Thought 3: If God is in control why does what we do really matter?  The end result is going to be the same either way, right? The Bible tells us how it all ends.

Thought 4: Our heart and our actions have to matter.  God wouldn't send His son to die for our sins if what we did or didn't do didn't matter.  I believe it was the way to reconcile us to Himself, but I also believe He leaves the choice up to us if we want the relationship or not.  Does that mean God limits His control over us?

Now I know what I believe in regards to all these thoughts, but processing through them really makes me think about what I have been taught or thought vs what the truth really is.  I did a lot of a reading yesterday and it seems the more I read the less I understand.  I know the overall story is so simple, but I also believe the more you let God have control of your life the more He will reveal to you about Himself and His plan.  I also believe that sometimes He reveals to us part of who He is but leaves room for us to try and understand something that really goes against who we are as humans. 

Anyway, like I said, I have been wrestling with these thoughts and trying to understand more of who God is.

Thanks for reading


Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. Ephesians 6:19-20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment