Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Service

Last night I had the privilege to talk to a friend about what God has been laying on my heart lately.  It was in the midst of that conversation that I began to remember something another friend of mine had taught me a few years ago. 

God wants us to be servants and to serve each other.


The concept actually came into play at the time because of the music program.  We had a lot of good instrumentalists and even more vocalists.  There were so many that we had to have a rotation of who played, but the goal was to always offer excellence to those who were coming to meet God and to God himself.

While to some a rotation might not always sound like a lot of fun because you don't get to "be on stage," I learned that it is a very humbling experience.  As we were being presented this though, he made sure to explain that what he needed was people willing to serve.  People who understood that sometimes the best way we could serve would be to not play or not sing on stage for a couple weeks. 

I admit for many it can be a challenging concept.

He went on to explain how just because we weren't on stage didn't mean that we didn't still have a vital role and that our role was to continue to be worship leaders while we are in our seat.  Genuine worship is contagious.  (Unfortunately, many of us fall in the trap of worshiping ourselves and that too, is contagious, only rather than others worshiping you, the int-urn worship themselves.)

Anyway, as I was thinking about all of that last night and then even into this morning, I began to wonder if there are other parts of our lives that we really suffer from not being willing to serve one another.  I wonder if we are often too busy worshiping something, someone, or ourselves that we forget what we are asked to do and what following Christ really looks like.

Learning to lead by serving is probably one of the best lessons I have ever been taught. 



Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. Ephesians 6:19-20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment