Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Two Lies

I recently read a quote by Rick Warren that read,
“Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.” 

The more I think about it, the more I realize how true that quote is. 

I don't know where that mentality really started, but I know these lies are often perpetuated by the media, our government, and now social media. As I reflect on this past week and the whole Rob Bell statement and now the court case on similar subject matter, I can see many times where people have bought into these lies.  Unfortunately, I think satan is having a hay-day with it, because it is dividing Christian's left and right. 

In the midst of every lie, there has to be some truth.  Satan knows this.   He used it when he tempted Jesus in the desert.  Unfortunately, many people forget it and believe the whole lie because they recognize the little truth that is it in.

A while back, I came across an idea of living based on what we are for rather than what we are against. I can't say that I have been the best at following that thought in my daily life, but it is a grounding point that I can fall back to when I start to wonder about what God would have me to do or say in a situation.

I think a great example of this, is one I shared a while back was by Shane L. Windmeyer.  It is a story about Dan Cathy and Mr. Windmeyer.  I won't go into all the details, but as many of you remember Dan Cathy stated a while back that Chick-fil-A was for traditional marriage.  It created quite a heated debate, and I can remember Christians being on both sides.  This is a story that didn't get as much publicity.  Mr. Cathy develops a friendship with Mr. Windmeyer, who's organization protested against Chick-fil-A.  

As I read the story, I couldn't help but think "this is a guy who gets it."  Mr. Cathy didn't focus on what he was against, rather he focused on what God has called us to, loving people.  

The beauty of it all, is that God gave us each today.  If He hadn't, you wouldn't be reading this.  Today is a new day and a day where we can start living for God, and loving people.  We don't have to agree, condone, or support everyone, but we do need to love them just the same.  

"You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."

No comments:

Post a Comment