Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Log vs Speck

Do not judge so that you will not be judged.  For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?  Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.  -Matthew 7:1-5
I don't know how often I have thought about this passage, but I know I catch myself considering it quite frequently.  It is somewhat of a scary thought, because it is so easy to judge people without even thinking about it.

Today, I wanted to work through the idea of "the log vs the speck."  

It's been my experience that when we work on removing a "log" from our life that when we are finally able to remove it, God allows us to see another one.  None of us are perfect, nor can any of us ever be perfect (that is why we need His grace and mercy).  If that is the case, then how could we ever get the speck out of someone's eye?

As I wrestle with this, I have two thoughts to consider.  One, is it just a matter of perspective?  Two, what is this passage saying in regards to helping each other?

I say a matter of perspective because seeing is relative to the person.  Something I have learned through photography is that what you focus on, is what becomes the easiest to see.  The farther something is from that focal point, the less clear it is.

Take this picture for example:
Steven, the subject of the picture, is clear and you can easily see him.  However, if you look at the background, things are not so clear. The opposite would also be true if we focused on what is in the background.  Steven would become unclear. 
 
On top of that, you have the concept of size.  Steven is by far a lot smaller than that lake in the background.   However, because he is closer he looks a lot larger.  

What I am saying is that we each have our own problems and if we focus on them we can see better to begin removing them.  When we focus on someone else's problem, our problem can easily be overlooked.  

The second thought was that I don't think God wants us to not help each other with our problems.  We don't need to judge them, but through relationship we can work together to fix our problems.   I think that is part of why Christ spoke so much and taught so much about the importance of love and relationships.  He knew that we couldn't succeed in life on our own and that we needed Him and each other to be able to accomplish the things He is calling us to and to move beyond our struggles.

I am challenged by these thoughts, because I know God is not done refining me yet.  I know God has many things yet to teach me.  On the other hand, I know God can use me to help others and help others to be more like Him.  Not that I should go around judging people or pointing out their flaws, but rather through love and relationship help them, walk along side them, so that they too may become more like Him.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment