Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Story

Living your life as a story is by no means a new thought.  Matthew West has his, "This is the Story of Your Life," curriculum and Don Miller has his, "Storyline" workbook and blog, but they are just tools to help us realize what some people once lived.  The Bible is full of people that knew they were part of a story that was bigger than themselves. 

As we go through West's curriculum with our small group, I can't help but realize how important our stories are and see how God orchestrates our story.  While I know God allows us to have our own free will, I find it amazing how often when we look back, we can see where God was in our story when we thought we were all alone.

A couple weeks ago, Marcey and I were able to share our story with our church.  While it was difficult to share, mostly because of a fear of speaking in public, there was a joy that came from knowing we are allowing God to use our story to help someone else.

As we began to write it out, there were times that were hard to write, but going through the outline with Marcey really helped me to see God in our lives in a real and tangible way.  We always knew He was there, but knowing and believing can sometimes be two totally separate things.

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to go visit friends and a church that were vital in marriage thus far.  As I began have conversations and look around, I could see even more where God was back then.  I know they say hind sight is 20/20 and I believe that.  I think some of us are near sided and far sided in the way we see life, but I also believe that God wants us to see the way He sees, but we refuse to put our glasses on.

I remember when I first got my glasses.  I could see better, but I couldn't leave them on for very long.  It made me sick to my stomach as my eyes had to adjust.  When I finally could leave them on, it was amazing how much clearer things were.

I don't have all the answers to how to get our glasses from God.  Sometimes it comes from experiences; I know He uses His word; I know He hears our prayers.  I also know that we have to come to the realization that our story is a piece of a much larger story. When we can grab hold of that thought, it does help shape the way we see things.

I know I still struggle from time to time with forgetting to put my "glasses," on and when I do, I lose sight of what God is trying to show me/teach me.  I can believe that I have suffered in some aspects because I missed out on the opportunity the first time and sometimes pain is the only way that we can learn.

I heard this song this morning and thought it fit perfectly with viewing our life as a story.   There will be pain, but there is a reason.



No comments:

Post a Comment