Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Too busy to care...

I was listening to Francis Chan today speak about Romans 9:1-3

I am telling the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience testifies with me in the Holy Spirit,  that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart.  For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh.

As I listened I began to think more about my life and how sometimes I have a heart for people to where I think about it a lot, but then other times I am too "busy" to think about it.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, last year my heart was opened to the brokenness of the people around me. I could see brokenness in my community like I have never seen before.  I was made aware of how people were hurting...people I knew were making poor decisions based on a desire to feel complete.  And then....I let time pass.  I begin to deal with some of the issues I had, but I still haven't established any strong connections with any of those people I see that are hurting.  I haven't really tried to help with any of the needs that I have seen.  I haven't even remember to pray for them.

When I read what Paul was saying and let it sink it, it amazes me.  Paul wasn't too busy to hurt for those people.  He was going to give whatever it took to share with them who God is.  He was going to follow Christ and share His message with all those willing to open their eyes to what He had to offer.

I wonder why it is that we get so busy that we forget to build those relationships with people.  Why we move on with our life without stopping to really help someone that is hurting.  I know we can't all be like Paul and be a verbal witness to 1000s and 1000s of people, but we can hurt for those that are hurting.  We can put the spiritual well-being of someone else before our own.

After I wrote last week about Why I follow Jesus, I began to ask myself if I would be willing to follow Him even if it meant going to Hell.  Paul says he would be willing to do it.  He would be willing to lose everything so that another could live with Christ.  For me, it is a reminder and a challenge we must take to check and see if our hearts are right.  If I want to truly follow Christ, my heart has hurt where his heart hurts.  His heart hurts for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment