Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A struggle....an Answer

First, I want to say that I have really been struggling lately with reading my Bible.  It's not that I don't want to, it's not that I don't think it is important, I just haven't been doing it.  I let things get in the way.  I let other things take up my time and I make excuses through the day as to why I haven't done it yet, till I head to bed and hope to do a better job the next day.  It's terrible really.  I long to make it a part of my daily life, I want more than where I am now.  I want more of what God has to show me.  All that being said, I am going to start adding at least the reference of what I have read to each of my blogs so that you know I am continuing to read.  Feel free to check up on my from time to time. 


Anyway, in my journey today I decided to go back to where I was reading a while back.  I dove back into Exodus.  I was just about to the Ten Commandments when I stopped before so as I approached them I decided to take a different approach.  It is easy to skim through them because we have heard them so much.  You can just take it for what it is and listen to what you have always been told, or .... like me, can sometimes try to look for something you may have missed before. 

My Bible has the study notes at the bottom so as I was reading I would go down and read what went along with that verse.  When I got to Verse 8, I thought, "well that is an easy one," but when I looked down and read the notes, it said the Sabbath is the only commandment not reiterated in the New Testament.  I thought that to be interesting, so I read where it referenced it was actually nullified.  Colossians 2:16-17.  When I read it, it certainly didn't come across as a nullification of the commandment, so I followed the references that that passage gave. Roman 14:5-6.

I didn't necessarily get the answer I was looking for in regards to if "Keeping the Sabbath day Holy" was nullified, but I got a second verse to go along with the vision I had been having about uniting churches.  I admit I have read it before, but it never meant so much as it did today.


One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.  -Romans 14:5-9


Yes I know, that is more than what it referenced, but I couldn't stop as I began reading it was as if it was speaking to me.  It doesn't matter what you believe is right and wrong.  What matters is that you are following Christ with all of who you are and if you do, God will show you what He wants from you.  He wants to be the Lord of your life.  To me this is a verse that I can stand on to unite people.  I think Christians can accept and be willing to be changed by it.  I know I am wresting with the verse and what it means in my life.

So, I never did really come to the conclusion that the Sabbath day is nullified, but I did come to the conclusion that if it is really an issue in my life, and I am striving to follow my Lord....He will make it evident.

Side note....read the rest of the passage....It gives you even more to wrestle with.  Very challenging stuff.  Romans 14:10-23



No comments:

Post a Comment