Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Chapter 3 - Excitement

For those of you that know me, you know I get excited very easily. In fact, after a musical at church one time I even got an award for being those most excitable.

Actually, its quite the opposite.  Well, I did get the award, but I think they were being facetious.

I don't get excited very often.  At least not visibly. Even if you count the times I don't express it, there aren't very many times I really get excited about things.  I really don't know why that is.  It's not something I like about myself.  In fact, it is something I wish I could change.  I want to get excited.  I want to be a part of that sort of fun that others have.  I want to be able to express that excitement without caring what others might think.

Noah showed me what that looked like this weekend.

Friday night, my parents took us all to the local car races.  I have only been a couple of times, but it was Noah's first time and we always thought it would be something he liked.  He was fascinated by it.  Not only did he watch the cars, but he also watch people and how they were excited about what they saw.  He in turn became excited about what he was watching and began cheering.

Several times I asked him who he was rooting for. (I thought it would be a lot of fun to root for the same car together.) He told me that he wasn't cheering for anyone.  He didn't have a certain car he wanted to win.  He just was excited to see the cars race.  He wanted to be a part of the action and get the full experience.

I was amazed at his ability to be inhibited by what others might think.  He is free to express himself and be who he God created him to be.  I hope we can help him stay that way and not at some point crush his spirit or do something that would cause him to want to began to hide who he is and not be so expressive.

I hope over time that I can find time to reflect and figure out why it is that I can't be as expressive or less inhibited.  Excitement is a beautiful thing and is a quality I like to see in strong leaders.  I know God has brought me to a far better place than I was and is constantly shaping me to be the person He knows that I am, I just hope this is something He can teach me soon so that I can enjoy events like this with my kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment