Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

The Truth is...

The Truth is....

I have been pondering those 3 words for a while now.  It seems like the older I get and more I feel like I understand, the more I realize I don't know and understand.

There is this whole theory out there right now surrounding the Sandy Hook shooting.  It speaks of how the government could be behind it and how a lot of things just don't add up.  A couple people put together a video that has now gotten close to 10 Million views. 

I'll admit I watched it.  I found it interesting and quite compelling. 

How do we know the truth?

The truth in our country seems to matter very little.  I know the government lies to us.  I imagine is was similar to the way we sometimes try to hide things from our kids in order to protect them.  While it may have seemed like a good idea at the time, without knowing the truth our thoughts, ideas, and rational can easily be confused.

I think about my understanding of the Bible and want it means to follow Christ.  It has come so far over the last few years.  It has changed so much.  What I thought was truth was far from it. What made our churches here venture so far from what the original church looked like?  Why do we do so many things so differently?  Few will take the time to truly understand the context of the Bible and its writings and yet we try to apply it to our lives.  I trust in the power of the Holy Spirit to teach us regardless of our current understanding, but what if we are trying to learn in our own power and not relying on the Holy Spirit?  Do we still miss the truth because of our own perception?

The purpose of this blog for me has always been to understand more of truth and to express how my views have and do change over time.  If I continue to learn I will be able to more clearly see what is truth. 

Sometimes I fear that my perception of what is real is far off kilter.  It is hard to distinguish truth from perceived reality.  Maybe that is why Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life..."  Could He have really meant that we can always find truth in who He is and that by following His way we can actually have a life outside of our own perception?

I pray that God will reveal His truth.  I don't want to get caught up in my own perceptions of reality and (based on a statement I heard earlier this week) chase mice while lions are tearing up the town.  I want to know what God's truth is.  I want to see what He sees.

I came across this song a few weeks ago that speaks to this idea, the thoughts from yesterday, and just a big portion of my past. 




No comments:

Post a Comment