Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Meaning of L

Alright, so before we get too far into this, I want to clarify that the title is actually "Meaning of Lord," but I wanted to see how many people would actually visit just to try and figure out what I was talking about. 

As I mentioned last week, I have started reading a book called "Multiply," by Francis Chan.  It is a book on discipleship and since I am a fan of Francis Chan and discipleship is heavy on my heart, my wife purchased this book for me for Christmas. 

It is not really a devotional book, but I am using it similar to they way many use a devotional.  I read a section and then try to really understand what he is talking about.

Yesterday, I read about how God is our Lord and what Lord really means.  Sure we call Him Lord, but many, including myself, forget what that really means.  If someone is your Lord, really they have ownership of you.  You are their subject and have the responsibility to do as they wish. 

While in our culture today having anyone above you or over you is seen as a sign of weakness or means you are lacking in power, there are a lot of good things that come from it as well.  Especially, when the Lord is good.

I don't know how many songs I have heard about the Lord being Good. It is a well used line, but I don't know that many of us truly believe it.  We say we believe it in our head, but we often think we know more and want to do our own thing rather than trusting God to really be our Lord.

In the midst of trying to figure out if I am truly letting God be the Lord of my life, or if I continually choose to do my own thing, I had a few instances where I can look back just this week where God has shown me He is a good Lord. 

When I say good, I mean more than just taking care of me and giving me what I want.  I mean good as in he is active in my life and reveals Himself to me when I need it. 

If you have been following my blog long, you know that relationships, small groups, and discipleship are a big deal to me.  I believe the church has lost sight of this and that God wants me to help revitalize in within the community in which I live.  The only problem is, sometimes in waiting I can easily get sidetracked or lose sight of the bigger picture.  I don't want to rush into things and try to tell God I know more.  I want to make sure I am working on His time table. So...I've been waiting.

Until this week...

God has made several things clear to me this week.

He had someone approach me and tell me it was time.  They needed it.

He had someone call me who I wanted to call and discuss it with....and let me know they were on fire and ready for change.

He had someone tell me they were excited about what we had planned.

He had someone suggest opportunities for service.

God has made it clear that it is time.  People need relationships....people need to live in community...people need discipleship....people need to see Him in a new way.

 This all may not sound like much to you, but it was God showing me that He is Lord in my life. He is taking care of me.  He is present.  It is amazing at how He brings certain things into our lives to reveal bits and pieces of Himself as He knows we need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment