Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Chapter 9 - Right there

Yesterday, my family went to the park to celebrate Taylor's birthday.  As we were getting ready to leave, Lilly started getting a little fussy and as usual wanted to be little-miss-independent.  As I allowed her to walk back to the car, I offered her my hand several times to hold onto as the ground was sloped, there were holes, and other obstacles that could easily get in the way of her being able to walk well.  Every time I offered to help, she pulled back her hand and said "no."  She wanted to do it on her own. 

Lilly certainly couldn't see what was coming ahead of her.  She couldn't see the things that could and would cause her issues.  She even decided at one point to take a long route back to the car and went in the wrong direction for a minute or so.

As I thought about that whole situation, I began to wonder how often we act that way towards God and how often we God is just there waiting to help.

Many of us have spent a lot of time reading the Bible and trying to understand who God is.  Most of us have had experiences in our lives that have shaped the way we view God and our surrounding.  Yet, even now, I can say that I don't know what is coming; I don't know all of who God is and what He wants to do in my life.

I know God is always with us, but I wonder how many times in our lives He can see what is coming ahead and know all that will cause us struggle, and yet we refuse to take His hand as He offers it.  Maybe sometimes He does want us to try a harder path or something new, and yet we think we know our own way and end up either getting off course or hurrying so fast that we trip and get hurt.

Walking with Lilly yesterday, just reminded me of how often God is there just wanting to assist us in getting where He wants us to go and we make it so much harder all because we want to be independent and think we can do it on our own.

As a dad, it would have been easier to pick Lilly up and carry her to the car, in-fact, it was hard not to.  I wanted to get her there quickly and I wanted her not to fall.  Yet, as with God, I wanted her to be able to learn that no matter what I will be there to help her when she is ready.  If she falls, I will be there to comfort her.  If she goes off the path, I will be right there for her to come back to so she knows where the path is.  We will make it, it just may be harder, longer,  and possibly more harmful than it needs to be.



Having kids has certainly enabled me to see things about God that I never even considered before.  If you haven't read my blog much in the past, each of the "Chapter" blogs are based on lessons that my kids have taught me about God.  They sure are a blessing and tools in which God teaches me.

No comments:

Post a Comment