Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Proverbs 3:1-12

11 My son, do not forget my teaching,
   but keep my commands in your heart,
2 for they will prolong your life many years
   and bring you peace and prosperity.

 3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
   bind them around your neck,
   write them on the tablet of your heart.
4 Then you will win favor and a good name
   in the sight of God and man.

 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
   and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
   and he will make your paths straight.

 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
   fear the LORD and shun evil.
8 This will bring health to your body
   and nourishment to your bones.

 9 Honor the LORD with your wealth,
   with the firstfruits of all your crops;
10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing,
   and your vats will brim over with new wine.

 11 My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline,
   and do not resent his rebuke,
12 because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
   as a father the son he delights in.

My heart has really been hurting lately.  I know its because of my relationship with God has been suffering.  It hurts because I want to do what he wants, but I have found myself not caring for people like I used to.  It has become a job to love others and want to take care of them, and I am consistently looking for others to help me decide what ways we need to show love rather than being so in tune with the Spirit that I am connected and sense what God has for me.

I have been sensing this all for a while, but it really hit me this past week when a terrible tornado went through Joplin, MO.  My wife asked me if I felt like I should go help, and my response was no.  The truth is, I didn't even think about it.  My heart didn't go there.  I was too concerned with everything else going on in my life that I forgot what it is really all about.

So in reading this passage this morning it really hit me when it said

1My son, do not forget my teaching,  3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.

The love I once had for people has become so overwhelmingly covered up by the "duties" I have to perform.  My life has become so filled with things to get done and lists to do and people to please that my sight of what really is important has been lost.  I have become one of "those" people who care more about life than what God has planned.

That is why the second part of this is so important. To me its a promise.  He says hang on to these things and you will be where God wants you to be.  Mess it up and God will discipline you, but trust the discipline, he knows what he is doing.  He knows how to take care of you.  He is doing what is best for you.

A while back while searching for what to do I read:

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. 8 This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.

it hit me... my hesitation is because it doesn't make sense to me.  I guess it is time to just submit to him and let him show me HIS path and quit trying to follow my own.  I need God's health in my body and his nourishment to my bones....without it, I'm just one step closer to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment