Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

how do you decide?

How many times do parents decide what to allow their child to watch a show on TV or a movie based on a rating, yet they themselves will watch shows with much worse ratings.  For instance, they will watch a Rated R movie, but wont let their child watch a rated PG-13 movie.  How do we decide what is acceptable and not acceptable.  As Christians, if its not ok for them, then should it really be ok for us?  I don't know how many times I have watch a movie that was PG-13 and looked back at what was PG-13 10 years ago and the two movies not be in the same realm.  Are we just so desensitized to what we watch that we think it is ok for us, but we don't want our children to watch because it might cause them to talk about what we are watching.

I know kids mimic what they hear and see on TV, my son has done so.  Do you ever stop to think if we are doing that too?  Maybe not on the outside, but on the inside.  If you didn't the movies would disgust you.  If for nothing else than just the language. I know I wouldn't want my Grandma walking in why I was watching the movies with all the language.  Is it because I think I can handle more than her?  Is it because I am ashamed at what I am seeing/hearing?

How do you decide what to watch?  I wish I had the strength to say I would never watch anything more than PG.  Would it change my life?  Would it affect how I saw life?  Would it affect my attitude?  How many other things in life to we allow to creep into (alright, they arn't really creeping, we know we are putting them there) our mind and just go on like nothing different.  It makes us different.

I always thought those people who limited what they watched to PG or less were odd.  I never wanted to watch movies that they picked for fear it would be boring...and maybe they would be.  What if we started telling Hollywood that we didn't want to watch that kind of stuff anymore.  What if we limited what we watched to what was wholesome and good?

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. (Phil 4:8)

How often have you spent two hours filling your head with these as compared to the two hours of a movie filling it with Garbage that won't change anything in your life other than getting away from the truth for a while?

Will I change?  Will You?

No comments:

Post a Comment