Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Fresh Fruit

“Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.  You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?  So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.  Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.  So then, you will know them by their fruits.  - Mathew 7:15-20

As I was getting ready this morning and this verse came to mind.  The more I thought about it, the more I wonder what kind of fruit I have been producing. In Galatians it says that the fruit of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Are these fruits actually what I am producing or am I producing fruit other than these?

As I break them down I came up with these thoughts:
  • Love - sure it is easy to love others, but then again there are those who aren't so easy to love.  I know I don't always choose to love them the way God would want me to.   
  • Joy - well, not doing so good here either.  I guess joy doesn't mean you are always happy, but I do get consumed sometimes by worry which I know steals our joy.
  • Peace - well, I would love to say that I am good at this would, but in reality I do like a good argument and sometimes struggle with keeping the peace.  I'm not saying that I am for war or believe in going out and destroying peace that way, but I certainly know I am not at peace all of the time.
  • Forbearance - (otherwise known as showing patience or leniency)   I can show patience for a while, but after some time I certainly allow things to eat at me and all leniency tends to go out the window.  
  • Kindness - I guess it depends on what you view as kindness.  I try to be kind and polite to people, but I know I don't always do the greatest job.  
  • Goodness - well, the Bible says not even one is good, but I certainly try to be.  
  • Faithfulness - I certainly try to be faithful, although I know I do allow things to come between me and God and I did that in my marriage then it could be considered unfaithful.  
  • Gentleness - I certainly try to be gentle, but there are times when I most certainly am not.
  • Self-control - wow, this can cover so much. Eating, spending, time useage, just to name a few.  I know I have self control in some areas, but I also know there are few areas that do a better job of controlling me than I do of controlling me. 
Now, I know God gives us grace and mercy when we make mistakes and that we are to be ever growing/changing.  I think it is good, however, for us to examine if we are expressing quality fruits or not so that we can know how others view us.  I know we want others to be able to see Christ in who we are.  If we arn't producing His fruits, we are getting in the way.

Maybe you struggle with some of the same issues.  Maybe its times to examine and ask God to help you in a specific area or two. Just remember, when it comes to these, He will certainly grant you opportunities to express them.  They are not something He will necessarily just give.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment